Terrific. Alex Pavesi knows the genre inside out. One of the year's most entertaining crime novels
- Sunday Times, Crime Book of the MonthDizzying, dazzling - a potent potion of a thriller, a brew of bibliophilia (think The Shadow of the Wind), wire-taut tension (The Talented Mr. Ripley), and plot swerves so sharp and sudden you risk whiplash with each turn of the page, as bold as the best of Michael Connelly and Lisa Gardner. When did you last read a genuinely original thriller? The wait is over.
- A J Finn, bestselling author of The Woman in the WindowSo, so clever.
A twisty story and an education in the maths of murder mysteries, Agatha Christie would take her hat off to this one - bravo!
-- Sarah PinboroughAlex Pavesi is a lively writer . . . It feels like a game of Clue-do-ku
- TimesAn elegantly structured, intellectually challenging and completely unique thriller that grips like a vice
-- Sophie Hannah - Sunday Times bestselling author of The Killings at Kingfisher HillThis is both a wonderfully tricksy debut and a loving tribute to the golden age of crime fiction
- Mail on SundayIt's rare for me to read a book in a single day, but I couldn't put Eight Detectives down
. Compelling, clever, and beautifully-constructed. It deserves to be huge. I genuinely wanted to applaud at the end
-- Alex NorthA brilliantly twisty thriller. I adored this clever, game-playing book - it's like Agatha Christie for bibliophiles
- Sunday TimesA box of delights . . . Pavesi's revelations are completely unexpected, right up to the end
- New York Times
An absolute triumph of a novel. I read it in two greedy gulps. Intelligent and compelling storytelling. Utterly brilliant
-- Ali Land, bestselling author of Good Me, Bad MeThis super-smart homage to the Agatha Christie tradition is a must. Stylish, ingenious and great fun
- Sunday MirrorHas an intricacy rare in modern crime fiction. Alex Pavesi deserves huge applause for his plot, constructed with all the skill of the old masters
- Sunday Express
In Eight Detectives
, Alex Pavesi constructs a remarkable puzzle
that turns readers into literary detectives with every new twist. Both a celebration and a reinvention of mystery fiction
-- Matthew Pearl, bestselling author of The Dante ClubMasterfully told in a unique way - this is sure to get you thinking
- Woman's WeeklyAn absolute juggernaut of a novel.
-- Caz FrearThis debut novel, constructed with clockwork precision, has an understated creepiness that gets under your skin
- Daily Mirror
Alex Pavesi's Eight Detectives
is a delightfully inventive and enjoyable debut
which plays fascinating games with the classic murder mystery and puts a fresh spin on the notion of whodunit. Bravo!
-- Martin Edwards, winner of the 2020 Diamond DaggerSo clever and a lot of fun
, fans of Golden Age crime fiction (of which I am one) will love this unique tale with a modern twist
-- Jenny Blackhurst, bestselling author of How I Lost You
Alex Pavesi has written one of the most creative detective novels of the year...if not of all time
. Sharp writing, crisp dialogue, and the end will leave you reeling. An incredible debut novel!
-- Samantha Downing, bestselling author of My Lovely WifeA fantastic read
. Utterly original, yet reads like a long-lost golden age classic. The author surprises from the first chapter, is always one step ahead, and constantly gives you this feeling that something macabre is happening behind your back! Bravo
-- Ragnar JonassonI have never read a book quite like this
. It's original, clever and compelling
- and the revelations at the end took me totally by surprise. -- Rachel AbbottI loved this intelligent and inventive novel
and I'm sure that it will find legions of fans amongst aficionados of classic crime. It's the most fun I've had in ages
-- Cathy RentzenbrinkAn ingenious exploration of the crime genre
- Literary ReviewAn enthrallingly layered literary mystery
- News LetterA brilliantly conceived novel . . . "I didn't see that coming", you'll say
- Shots MagazineIngenious . . . perfect for fans of Agatha Christie
- BestA clever read
- Woman[An] impressive evocation of the golden age of crime fiction
- Sunday Times